Books and Us


TV.  If kids are entertained by two letters, imagine the fun they'll have with twenty-six.  Open your child's imagination.  Open a book.  ~Author Unknown

Hi! I've been away for a while and this month, the 33rd Annual Manila International Book Fair was held at the SMX Hall, SM MOA. I want to share to you our very own mini-collection of books. I am proud to say that Tato and Toti loves to hear a story before they sleep and I am also ready to narrate animatedly to them. I’m a working mother, married to Toto, a gallant soldier whose 24/7 is devoted to our dear Philippines, thus I am sometimes like a single parent but nevertheless when he has free time he also reads to the kids. Night time is our bonding time during weekdays and I make the best out of it. I can be the grumpy old man or the tough lad but most of the time, Tato just wants mommy's voice reading the story for them.

Here are some photos we had this week, the books almost filled our bed, and there were more of those but the kids just lined-up their favorite must read at night. 

We have several titles in our mini-collection but we are in awe for those written and drawn by Filipino authors and illustrators especially with the bilingual stories of HIYAS Books by OMF Literature and Adarna Publishing.

We are fascinated with HIYAS’ Tito Dok Collection as medical terms are presented in a light manner that the child and the elderly can relate. My Tato is prone to asthma attack and Dr. Gatmaitan’s “Hinihika na naman si Hermie” helped us understand asthma, its causes and precautions that can be done to enable someone with asthma to enjoy his life such as Hermie.  

My boys love "Duglit ang Dugong Makulit", a tale about how a young blood  discovers his true purpose in life. And I find amazing how the kids understand how a baby turns out to be a boy or a girl thru the combination of X and Y chromosomes, at age five and four they now know that a female is XX and a male is XY thru "Aba May Baby sa Loob ng Tiyan ni Mommy". 

Do your kids have a hard time drinking medicine in tablet or capsule form, grab Tito Dok's "Ulkk Di Ko Malunok ang Tableta", to guide your little one. These are only some of the other books in Tito Dok's collection and there are more to enjoy, Tato, Toti and I guarantees.
 
"Ang Mahiyaing Manok" published by Adarna was written by my college Professor Ms. Rebecca T. Anonuevo and illustrated by Ruben de Jesus. This is a story of a shy rooster Onyok and how he gained confidence as he embrace his identity as a rooster.

Another one from another Adarna is Jose Rizal's original "Si Pagong at Si Matsing" retold by National Artist for Literature Virgilio S. Almario. Tato and Toti loves how Pagong outwit the clever Matsing. 


We also love Grace D. Chong's "Big Brother", a tale of unconditional love between a 21 year old person with disability (down syndrome) Tinuy and his younger brother Bunsoy who were left to care for each other when there mother worked abroad.

One would ask,does God have a favorite color? Find out and grab Ms. Chong's God's Favorite Color.


For other titles from these publishers you may visit their websites www.omflit.com for HIYAS and www.adarna.com.ph for ADARNA. Other books that we have are from Lampara and Groilers "I Wonder Why Series" which prepares your child for school.

I think books would always be part of my constant "pasalubong" to my little cubs. And someday I would really like to have a library that I can also share to those who would like to flip pages and be transported into the amazing world of reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Ta To or Ti?"

Peace na, Peace Tayo!